Things To Do on Lanai
The island of Lanai—with its towering sea cliffs, lavish resorts, and string of white sand beaches—is a tropical paradox of luxury and leisure that’s often misunderstood.
Yes—98% of Lanai is owned by Larry Ellison—but that doesn’t make it a private island that’s completely closed off to visitors. Instead this island just nine miles west of the town of Lahaina, on Maui, is an outdoor escape for hiking, surfing, diving, fishing and relaxing.
Golf is one of Lanai’s top things to do, with the Jack Nicklaus designed, Challenge at Manele offering sweeping views of the coast, and the 9-hole Cavendish being Hawaiʻi’s only completely free course.
Off-road exploring is another one of the best things to do on Lanai, where dirt roads lead to white sand beaches like Lopa and Polihua, and ancient historical sights like Kaunolu village are only a short drive away. It was here where chiefs like Kahekili would practice lele kawa—the ancient sport of diving off cliffs towards the turquoise waters below. Read more
As for the best free things to do on Lanai, exploring the island on your own two feet is a great way to appreciate the landscape, whether it’s hiking the Munro or Koloiki Ridge Trail in the misty, forested uplands, or exploring the Kapiha’a Fisherman’s Trail that departs from Hulopo’e Bay. Near Shipwreck Beach, on the northeastern coast, you can scour the shoreline for small white seashells that have washed ashore in the current, or search for the hidden petroglyphs that are scrawled on nearby rocks.
When driving between the mountains and beach, be sure to stop in Lanai City to explore the restaurants and shops, or peruse the collection of ancient artifacts at the Lanai Culture and Heritage Center.
Or, if you’d simply prefer to lounge by the pool of the Four Seasons Manele Bay, where massage tables and private cabanas look out towards the shoreline below, sometimes the best thing to do on Lanai is simply nothing at all, but listen to waves as they crash on the sand, and wind in the palm trees above.
BEST LUAU in Maui - Old Lāhainā Lūʻau - BOOK NOW!
Matsumoto’s Shave Ice on the North Shore has the best tropical flavors and toppings.
Whale watch with the experts on Maui's top-rated ecotour and see these amazing creatures in their natural wild habitat. Adult $44, Child $25
- Change the Way you See Hawaii with Shaka Guide’s GPS audio driving tours! It’s like having a tour guide in your car.
- PAY NOW SAVE NOW! Up to 25% Off Best Available Hotel Rates
- Get up to 6 GPS audio tours for $29.99 with Shaka Guide! Tours available on Oahu, Maui, Kauai, and Big Island.
- From $89 - Snorkel cruise on Oahu's stunning Ko Olina coast with Hawaii Nautical
- Socially-Distanced Audio Tours starting at $4.99! All Shaka Guide tours offer turn-by-turn directions to popular sites and local gems.
- Stop by Rainbow Drive-in for Hawaii’s comfort food, the plate lunch.
- Souvenirs, clothes, Red Dirt shirts, buy 2 get 3rd item FREE
- Must Try Snacks. Hand picked by your Island Favorites
- Change the Way You See Hawaii with Shaka Guide GPS Tours!
- 12-Day Hawaiian Islands Cruise & Tour in 2021 from $2,099
- From $89 - Waikiki Sunset Sail with Hawaii Nautical
- Shaka Guide GPS Audio Tour Bundles - Save 50% and more!
- Maui Babe® lotions love your skin! Get yours today!
- PAY NOW SAVE NOW! Up to 25% Off Best Available Hotel Rates.
- From $89 - West Oahu Scuba with Hawaii Nautical
More Activities You Might Like
Catching the Ferry from Maui to Lanai
Even though Lāna‘i has bed and breakfasts, hotels, and five-star…